Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Rick Tells All to Star 98.7 in L.A.!

Below is a general transcript of Rick's interview this morning with LA's Star 98.7. Lots of great tidbits here, so enjoy!

RS On LA Radio

What is the #1 Question you get asked about JG?
“Was there really Jessie’s Girl…”

Banter back and forth about the word moot and the fact that RS lives “here” (“Not in your studio, but in the area”).

Talk about the “Huge” show coming up at the Gibson Amphitheater…”When is that?” RS: “Not sure..” and they remind him of the date. Info on how to get tickets…joking about how the ladies will all be going to the show.

DJ talks about his parents going to a show in CT and enjoying it. RS: “We have a great live show, high energy, a great band, people are surprised at how heavy the songs are.” He says he was listening back to JG and it was hip for the time, but they play the songs much harder these days. “It’s the show I always wanted it to be,” these days.

The female DJ goes on about the live show, how Rick stage dives, and how the ladies love it because they get to touch RS, and he says “My ass is more like it.” The male DJ talks about how great the guitar licks are in Jessie’s Girl, how recognizable the song is immediately and how it has stood the test of time. RS states he’s proud of the song.

The female DJ talks of how Rascall Flatts performed a karoke tribute live in their studio and RS talks of seeing a video of it on the internet and how he enjoyed it. “It’s one of those songs that people have fun with…it’s gone beyond anything I did.”

New RS Music: “I’m leaving for Alaska tomorrow with my youngest son Josh tomorrow, but we have to master the new record…we just finished the new record, a Christmas record. We were really concerned about it, because I love Christmas music, and I hate Christmas Rock records. It’s not going to be a rock record, very traditional. I want something really mellow, something cozy. On Christmas night, I put on Nat King Cole, something contemporary, that kind of vibe. It came out, apart from the surf song, it came out really great. We did a surf version of Deck the Halls, deck the halls with longboards.”

“It was a spiritual record to do. I was raised Christian, I went away from it to Buddhism, and searched other spiritual paths, but the core of that thing is still in me, you know? It was really actually amazing to sing these songs, it’s about a spiritual connection. You know, a lot of amazing music too. You know, ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’, the chords are brilliant. It was really exciting to do the record. I wrote an original song for the record, called ‘Christmas With You,’ which is what the album is going to be called. It’s kind of a tribute to being away from home. We were thinking of the soldiers in Iraq. We’re dedicating, we’re giving the proceeds of that song to the widows and families of soldiers who died in Iraq. We’ve been in touch with them, and we’re going to do a video with the faces passing across. It’s not a political statement about we shouldn’t be there or anything, it’s just a show of respect for the debt that has been paid. My dad was a lifer in the Army, and I was in Vietnam in 68-69, entertaining the American troops. So it’s not something I’m saying, ‘Hey, let’s see what’s hot.’ It’s something that is very dear to my heart. The families have been really amazing, very behind it. We’ll put the song up so they can go to a special website so they know it’s not any kind of political statement. It’s just a supportive thing.”

“I’ve had conversations with…you know, Martin Sheen, we know them, and they’re always super political. Some of the things I disagree with, I used to disagree with, I’d say, ‘What are you doing this for? Why don’t you do this over here or there?’ He actually said a great thing, he said: You do all you can. You can’t do everything. You do whatever you can with what you have in front of you. Whatever moves you. That really hit home to me. So now I see a piece of paper or plastic on the ground, I’ll pick it up. My mom always said, you’ve got to do your part.”

“We just bought a hybrid vehicle. It’s kind of almost a joke to a degree, but it’s still doing what we can.”

Banter about Christmas records, RS promises to come back during the season to talk more and play some of his record, stating he wanted to do something he was really proud of, and that he’s very happy with it. Apart, of course, from being attacked by a seal at the photo shoot for the record. He talks of how they put a lit Christmas tree on the beach for the shoot since there was shockingly no snow in LA for the shoot. “There’s a shot of me with absolute horror on my face and this very unChristmasy seal with his mouth open ready to chomp me.”

The interview ends with a ticket giveaway, and Rick jokes that maybe “Eli Love” will come to the show…but alas, the DJs clearly don’t watch GH and the joke falls flat. We get it!

To hear this clip for yourself, surf on over to: http://www.rickspringfield.us/library/multimedia.html

Thanks to Laurie B. for passing on the interview!
(photo by Susan Fortune)

No comments: