Friday, July 6, 2007

Rick Springfield Talks Music/Dr. Drake

By ERIC HEISIG
Arlington Heights
Pioneer Local News
(photo by Kathleen Mendelin, Boston, MA)

Singer/songwriter Rick Springfield might be forever known for the song "Jessie's Girl," but he's also had several other hits and appeared on ABC's "General Hospital." He recently returned to "General Hospital," released a CD last year and frequently tours. He is performing at Arlington Heights' Frontier Days at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Springfield talked about his career in a phone interview last week.

Rick Springfield keeps himself busy by touring, acting and spending time with his family. "I don't have much freee time. Right now, it's really, really full. I just like to stay at home and drink a beer with my kids."

Q: Tell me about your newest album "The Day After Yesterday."

A: It's a bunch of covers of songs that I liked around the same time I started having hits. I wanted to take a break from writing, and it was a good way to do that. Now, we are writing now for a new studio record, and I'm just finishing up a Christmas record that will be out this year.

Q: Since you picked fairly well-known songs, even if they weren't the most popular of the '70s and '80s, how are they being received in concert?

A: Really well. We only did a couple for them for a while. "Life in a Northern Town" (by Dream Academy) really went over well, because it's one of those songs that people wouldn't recognize the title, but as soon as they hear it, they instantly know what it is. I tried to pick stuff that was under the radar, that wasn't in heavy rotation on radio so it'd be kind of a good surprise.

Q: How did the references and appearances on "The Colbert Report" come about?

A: I had just gotten back to "General Hospital." They did an article on that and then I showed up in New York the next day. They said "are you going to come down and do this joke? It'd be hilarious." I love the show, so I just walked down for five minutes and did the bit.

Q: When you do tour, do you make a conscious decision not to go to any cities named Springfield?

A: Absolutely. And none named Rick, and none named Noah or Drake.

Q: Have you ever played a Springfield before?

A: We have played most of them, I'm sure.

Q: Why did you start acting?

A: Because I was broke, and between record deals. I wanted to do some acting, and innocently I thought I could support myself. So I started going to acting lessons and really liked it. I actually did start working pretty much right away. Everyone in the acting class was waiting tables, waiting to act. I was kind of naive, but I think sometimes naivety works.

Q: What do you get out of acting that you don't get out of recording and being a musician?

A: Completing a good scene is similar to writing a good song or coming up with a good riff. It's something that is part of the art form that can bleed over if you let it. I know a lot people that tried it. Some like it, some don't. It's just something as I get older, I find I have a lot more experience.

Q What do you enjoy about playing Dr. Noah Drake on "General Hospital"?

A: I enjoy it when the scenes are good. It's like singing a song that was written well. It's got to start with the writing. If the scenes are good, then it's a lot of fun. If they're not, it's a real drag.

Q: Has there been anything you have regretted in your career?

A: You can't regret stuff like that. Certainly there are things I regret in my life. Career moves are what they are and they lead you to where they lead you. Sometimes what I thought was a dumb move has lead to something good and what I thought was a good mood has lead to a dead end. I did a cartoon series in 1973 ("Mission: Magic") where they actually drew me and I did the voice. It was really super cheesy. I was regretting that for a long time, but now it's kind of cool. They re-released it on DVD and all these guys say "I used to watch you when I was 7 years old."
Q: When you perform live, do you prefer large or small venues?

A: They are very different. The smaller ones can get a lot more personal and the bigger venues seem to have more energy. I get out into the audience during the show. I do my best to bring the show to the people.

Q: What's next for you?

A: I'm going to Australia for three weeks, touring over there. And I just built my own studio. Any time I'm not on the road, I'll be in there. I'm going fishing in Alaska in July and white shark cage diving in September.

Q: Before you stop recording, who would you most like to collaborate with in the studio?

A: I like Rick Rubin. He's probably one of the best producers around. He's a real musician, and every album he does with every artist reflects them and not him.

Q: What is on your iPod right now?

A: There is a great new band called Beirut that is pretty awesome. My son turned me on to them. I have been a fan of Queens of the Stone Age for a long time. I like the heavier stuff like Tool and Deftones, and still love all the old stuff I grew up with. I listen to everything. I really like The White Stripes new single ("Icky Thump"), Nine Inch Nails, (Marilyn) Manson.

Article originally appears in the Arlington Heights Pioneer Local News, and can be viewed on the internet here.

No comments: