Saturday, April 17, 2010

4/15/10

Lifestyle Communities Pavilion

Columbus, OH

Review by Darla Gerken – Photo by Mike Gerken

April 15 usually brings taxes to mind but this year it was…Rick is finally back in Ohio!

The night began with a band called These Guys Live, which was a great start to a “Rick Night Out”. We were anxiously waiting for Rick to stroll out on the stage. The moment arrived and there he was standing with his back to the audience, keeping us waiting for a little longer until he belted out Mr. PC.

I’ve Done Everything For You, got the crowd excited with Rick pointing to ladies in the audience. By this time sweat was already forming on Rick and he commented that it was getting hot, my thoughts exactly. After singing I Get Excited with some “heavy breathing” involved, he said, “I bet you didn’t know what the song was about when it first came out, but I’m sure that you understand now”.

Rick mentioned that he was going to sing Venus in Overdrive and wondered if we knew the words. Of course, we did, and responded with “Yeah, Yeah”. Signs were held up with the words and Rick commented that we had a visual aid to assist people who did not know the words. Each time “Yeah, Yeah” was sung; Rick gave a big smile to the ladies holding the signs.

Rick mentioned that they have had a lot of relatives dying recently and that I’ll Miss That Someday was about Matt’s dad. I’m always mesmerized when he sings it live and the emotions involved with the song, which we can all relate to.

Don’t Talk to Strangers is always a favorite part of the show since the crowd is involved. He had a few ladies sing and he made his usual comments about their singing abilities. Dave, the security guard was a good sport and sang without any coaxing, Rick laughed and said he didn’t know that DTTS could be sung in one note and that he sounded like a robot. I thought my time had arrived to finally get a chance to sing DTTS; Rick was standing directly in front of me, my heart was beating fast and darn if he didn’t ask the guy behind me to sing! He needed a little encouragement, but he came through and did a pretty good job. Temptation got the best of me at this point, Rick had on dangling suspenders, I couldn’t resist, I gave them a gentle tug!

Back on stage after DTTS, he talked about Hard to Hold and that he should have gotten an Oscar for the “best butt”. The lady beside me pulled out a miniature Oscar, which Rick noticed immediately, and it was passed to the stage. It was so cute when he mimicked the presentation of the Oscar by saying “The Best Butt Award goes to…..Rick Springfield”. You have to love the man’s humor, he was in a very playful mood the whole night.

Rick yelled, “Human Touch”, he said I’m coming out there, but don’t pull my suspenders. Was he talking to me? Again, he ended up right beside me, I was thinking this is a good night! Someone handed him a bouquet of roses, which he smashed with both hands and the microphone since he did not have a guitar to do the job. I was loving the rose shower until he just about hit me in the head with the microphone. But, that is the chance you take when Rick is standing near you. He ventured to the general admission area where there was a railing that he could do his balancing act on. I swear, he could walk on a tightrope with a little assistance, the man is brave!

While Rick was in the crowd during Human Touch, Matt snatched a purse that was laying on the stage. When Rick returned to the stage for Jessie’s Girl, he handed him the purse and Rick opened it and pulled out money, which he put in his pocket. He told the lady that he would buy her a drink after the show with the money. He pulled out a piece of gum and chewed it while he sang Jessie’s Girl. First time I saw that rendition of Jessie’s Girl, he can even sing it with gum in his mouth. After the song was over, he pulled the money out of his pocket, walked over to Derek and said that he did a good job tonight and paid him with the money he stole. Each band member received his pay for the night. He threw the remaining money into the audience.

Rick returned for the encore shirtless and sang Wasted and Kristina. Both songs are great choices for ending the night, which you hate to see, but it is inevitable.

Set List

Mr. PC

I’ve Done Everything For You

Affair of the Heart

What’s Victoria’s Secret

I Get Excited

Alyson

Venus in Overdrive

I’ll Miss That Someday

Love is Alright Tonight

Crossroads

Don’t Talk To Strangers

Love Somebody

Human Touch

Jessie’s Girl

Wasted

Kristina

No comments: