Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Parents of slain soldier thank pop star for honoring son













Lancasteronline.com
By JANE HOLAHAN, Staff

The last time Brandon Hardy was at the American Music Theatre, in February 2006, it was one of the happiest days of his life.He asked his girlfriend, Samantha DiGrazio, to marry him, courtesy of one of the big video screens in the theater, and she accepted.Jill and Warren Hardy's visit to the American Music Theatre Sunday night was a bittersweet occasion.The Cochranville couple were there to personally thank rock musician Rick Springfield for making the video "Christmas With You," featuring the names and pictures of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Their son, Brandon, was one of them.He had spent five years in the Air Force before joining the Marines, feeling there was more he could do for his country. He was killed at age 25 by a roadside bomb in the Al Anbar Province of Iraq in April 2006, before he could marry Samantha."We wanted to thank him for honoring our son," said Jill Hardy. "I had the picture of Brandon that's in the video and I said, 'This is our son,' and he said, 'I know Brandon Hardy.' I felt he was touched by our being there."Springfield, who grew up in a military family in Australia, told the Hardys he has kids of his own and he can't imagine how it feels to lose a child.As the second anniversary of her son's death approaches, Mrs. Hardy said it doesn't get any easier to talk about her oldest child.

"It punches you in the gut," she said. "But you know, when I talk about Brandon, that's when I feel the strongest, if that makes sense, because I know Brandon was so proud of what he did."It is the pride in her son and all the men and women who serve in the armed forces and a strong belief that they should be honored for that service that makes Mrs. Hardy speak publicly about her son, even as it tears her apart.It's why she wanted to thank Springfield, even if she wasn't really a fan of the rocker who had a slew of hits in the 1980s, including the No. 1 "Jessie's Girl," and a role in the soap "General Hospital.""I knew who he was, but I wasn't particularly a fan," Mrs. Hardy said. "But I sure am now. "The concert was good she said, but maybe a little loud, at least for her and her husband."He's an awesome guitar player though," she said with a laugh.These meetings, including one with President Bush when he visited Lancaster in October, along with the ceremonies she attends and the anniversaries she observes, can bring on plenty of pain, but they bring pride too."I will do whatever it takes to support the troops," she said. "And I just appreciate that someone like Rick Springfield, who has the resources to do it, wants to honor these men and women so publicly."Mrs. Hardy said a deep faith in God has kept her and her family, which includes son Chad, 18, and daughters Kristin, 23, and Kari, 21, strong."Without the lord in my life, I would not be able to get through this," she said succinctly. "I know without a doubt, that I will see Brandon some day."She relies on her faith to give her strength."Every time I think I can't talk about it one more time, God says yes you can and Brandon says yes you can."That doesn't mean she doesn't have tough times."On my lowest days, the lord always sends someone to help me through it, a card in the mail, flowers," Mrs. Hardy said. "And one day he sent Rick Springfield."Mrs. Hardy's strength will be tested again. Son Chad is going to Marine bootcamp in June.Like his brother, Chad has a deep desire to serve his country and is willing to face the prospect that he also might pay the ultimate price."I told myself I could handle it," Mrs. Hardy said. "And I am so proud of him. How can I let him go? How can I not? It's what he is called to do. I can't change that."

CONTACT US: jholahan@LNPnews.com or 481-6016

Also, here is a link to a news story prior to the day of the concert:
http://www.wgal.com/video/15387133/index.html

No comments: