Monday, September 17, 2007

Wildhorse or was it Wildhouse? Review

Wildhorse Saloon
Nashville, TN
September 14, 2007


Review & pictures by Kelly Latka

The show started off with a bang! No, not really. We were treated to 3 ½ hours of opening acts! I missed the name of the first band - not sure it was ever announced - and they were good and did well psyching up the audience. Next up was Christy's Ex, a Billy Joel tribute band. Again, they were good - if you wanted to be at a Billy Joel concert! But we wanted Rick and by 9pm we were more than ready for him. The guys finally took the stage at 9:30 with a few changes to the set list.

Rick introduced I've Done Everything for You by saying, "This is SO true!" and it was great to hear Fire instead of Red House, and Jesus Saves, too! After the first attempt at Don't Talk to Strangers (he forgot most of the words this time around and let the audience sing it instead) Rick asked that the mic volume be turned up. The second attempt was way too loud so Rick had us all turn around and flip off Matty for not doing his job properly. After the first two clunkers, Rick jumped onto our table and I suddenly had a mic in my face! Yes, I made my singing debut in Nashville. Appropriate in a way I suppose. It's true, you really can't hear yourself at all. But I scored an "All right!" so I must've been okay. Next up was an adorable little boy called Malcom who was sitting on his daddy's shoulders and a little girl whose name I, unfortunately, cannot remember.

At one point, the wire became disconnected from Rick's guitar and it was hilarious to watch George chase him around the stage trying to reconnect it. Most of Love Somebody was done on stage and he headed out into the crowd starting with Jesus Saves. Rick jumped from table to table straight through to Jessie's Girl, stopping to scold a few people for getting a little too personal. He cried, "sexual harassment!" and headed back toward the stage. I guess waiting 3 hours in a bar can make people a little...restless. Rick tried the traditional phone call but "Chris" apparently hung up on him so he skipped it.
Back on stage for Love Is Alright Tonight with a very special surprise guest. To the shock and delight of everyone, Mr Jack White took over on drums! I missed Rick's explanation but does it really matter? Very, very cool. Rick wanted to have a naked encore but the condition was we all had to get naked. A few people didn't want to do that and spoiled our fun. Party pooper's.
Note:
There was also a sighting of Sharon Wyatt, ex Tiffany from GH. She is the actress that appeared with Noah in the famous strawberry scene. If you were lucky enough to chat with her, feel free to leave a comment!

And the set list, as best as I can recall:

Who Killed Rock N Roll
Will I
Affair of the Heart
Alyson
I've Done Everything For You
Rock of Life
Fire
Don't Talk to Stranger
The Medley
Love Somebody
Jesus Saves
My Generation
Human Touch
Jessie's Girl
Encore:
Love Is Alright Tonight

No comments: