Saturday, August 18, 2007

Welcome Home Rick Springfield!

Rick Springfield
Countdown Spectacular 2
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Newcastle Entertainment Centre
August 18, 2007
Review by Wendy Gibb

The audience gasp of excitment as Rick and band came into view on the revolving podium on stage summed up his return to Australia after a 30 year absence. His first chord played with a bunch of roses in hand had everyone entranced. To be there and feel the energy was incredible. I caught one of Rick's shows in Milwaukee in 2005 (yes, I did the sound check meet and greet - hey I'd waited 30 years to see him play) and was impressed with his professionalism and sense of fun. Both these attributes stood out at tonights show. Rick was the last act in a 3 hour '70's & '80's music show. All the acts were kept to one or two songs except Glen Shorrock, Beeb Birtles (who was in Zoot with Rick) and Graeme Goble from the Little River Band who did a medley of their hits preceding Rick....and Rick who played a medley of three songs and Speak to the Sky. During Don't Talk to Strangers he jumped from the stage - a mean feat in itself - and played with members of the audience singing a long. This took everyone by joyous surprise. The show finished with Rick and the entire auditorium singing Jesse's Girl. Fabulous, fabulous show.
As an aside - I wore my Shock Denial Anger Acceptance Tour T Shirt to which he acknowledged with a grin (yeah I know small things and all...). Made my night! I saw Ronnie and thought I should reintroduce myself but was struck down by a bout of shyness. The chatter amongst show goers in the foyer where they were selling merchandise was intersting to over hear. Keep in mind that most of the attendees haven't heard of Rick for many many years. "Oh, I remember Rick Springfield. I love him. I loved Jessie's Girl" You get the picture.

No comments: