Saturday, May 5, 2007

3 Days

Before we get to Today's Countdown for Milwaukee, I didn't want to ignore the fact that there is a show tomorrow night in Tampa. Not Milwaukee, but close enough to probably be caught up in the madness a little, and we'll probably see a preview of one of the outfits that Rick will wear in Milwaukee (won't we, now). If things go well, we'll post a little bit about the show by Monday evening.

Back to the business at hand. Thursday, May 11, 2006. Here are some highlights from the show taken from Laura's review (with a few additional details added)

Don’t Talk To Strangers - Rick came to someone in the audience that didn't seem to want to sing. He asked her if she spoke English and she said yes, so he said "that's not an excuse then".
He asked her what her name was, and then said "what country are you from Linda? Scotland? Oh my God, we're being overrun by Scottish people!" He said there was another one here and he asked them to put their hand up. He asked where they were from in Scotland and Rick responded "Glasgow! No Way!" Then he did a Scottish accent and said "Alright lassie, we're going to have you sing, is that ok?" Apparently she said she couldn't sing, and he said "That's ok, I can't sing either". So she kind of talked it and he made the comment that she did it with an American accent and then said that he did that when he lived in Australia, and then he talked with an Australian accent and then said he'd loose it when he sang. He also made Lisa and Dennis sing. They sat right across from each other in the first row. He accidentally turned off the mic when Lisa sang, but promised she did an excellent job. After Dennis sang he said…”Now why didn’t the mic shut off for him?”
After the song was over, he said "last time I was in Glasgow, I was 10 years old (and then in a Scottish accent he says) and it's never been the same since." The he says "I didn't touch any of those girls. They wouldn't have me back then when I was 10 years old. (big awes from the audience). "Truly, it was a very scary thing, all your friends are getting laid and you're the only one that's not. I was the virgin in the band for like 5 years." Then he yells "But I made up for it".
Speak To The Sky - One of the strings broke on Rick’s acoustic guitar and he said he didn’t have a spare and it probably broke because he, Matt and Matty were recording in his hotel room that afternoon. He then said there were probably only about 3 people in the audience who know who Lonnie Donegan is, then he sang a line from a song "don't let your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost over night" . Rick said he was a big star when he was a kid in England and that Lonnie Donegan had just recorded this song and that "It's the coolest thing that's ever happened to me.....apart from finally getting laid, of course".
Love Somebody – Rick starts out by saying "So I wrote this song, and the only thing I have to say for Rodgee to understand what song we're doing are the words "My Naked Butt". While out in the crowd, someone handed him a small black whip and he started whipping his butt with it.

You Really Got Me - No cell phone call this show. Rick took a bouquet of roses and took out a single rose before smashing the rest. Then he “tried” to toss the one rose up to someone in the balcony, but it hit the lights so it never made it. I thought it was a cute gesture. There were a lot of technical problems. At one point, the beginning of Bop ‘til You Drop played and then I think the sound on the guitar went out. George (guitar tech) brought out a hand held mic for Rick and he finished the rest of the audience portion with that and no guitar.

Human Touch – Rick made it up to the balcony, again posing for pictures and stopping for hugs along the way.

This show seemed much shorter than the night before. I know that Rick mentioned on the night before that they had “gone over their allotted time”.

So after the show, we went to the CD signing. Being the “shy girls” that we are, we hung out in the back of the line. I went up to Rick and had him sign a picture instead of the CD. Even though I specifically had a silver sharpie in my hand (because the picture was darker and I didn’t think a regular one would show up), I forgot to hand it to him and he started signing in blue. He just drew a heart and I said “Wait…you need to use this one.” He called me bossy or demanding and then smiled. He re-did the heart in silver and signed it. He ended up keeping the sharpie. I hear he is a bit of a sharpie stealer. I said “great show” and he said “thanks sweetie”, rubbed my back and that was about it. We started getting a little sad after this show because there were “only” two more nights left. Boy, were we getting spoiled at this point with all the Rickness.


Full set list:

I'll Make You Happy
Will I?
Affair of the Heart
I've Done Everything For You
Rock of Life
Red House
Don't Talk to Strangers
Speak to the Sky
Life in a Northern Town
No Matter What
The Medley
Love Somebody
Jesus Saves
You Really Got Me
Human Touch
Jessie's Girl
Love is Alright Tonite

For more pictures and Laura's full review, visit the concert section.
(Photo by Jennifer Schiffbauer)

No comments: