Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rick's Counting the days (to Australia)

RICK Springfield is excited about returning to his roots for his first Aussie tour, says NUI TE KOHA.

RICK Springfield became a US citizen last year.
It was about time.
But Sydney-born Springfield, a LA resident for 35 years, says he did it because of a complex US law regarding foreigners and death tax. Importantly, though, he retains dual citizenship.
"My family is over here, but my roots have always been back in Australia," Springfield said.
"I would cut my balls off before I gave up my Australian passport."
Despite his love of Australia, though, Springfield studied hard for the American citizenship exam.
"I learned everything about the Supreme Court, legislature and American history," he said.
"Then I walk into the exam and they ask me: 'Who is the Governor of California and who is the President of the United States'?"
And with that, he was finally a legal alien in the country that delivered his dream.
Springfield, of course, is the singer-songwriter of 1980s anthems Jesse's Girl and Don't Talk To Strangers.
He also starred in popular US soap General Hospital.
The artist did his rock apprenticeship in Aussie bands including Wickety Wak and Zoot.
In 1968 he went to Vietnam to entertain the troops.
"It was crazy," he said. "I knew there was a war going on, but I didn't read newspapers. I was 17.
"We got over there and we were playing for GIs right at the fire base.
"I almost blew the band up with a hand grenade.
"We did everything we could get our hands on - hookers, dope.
"Everything was available."
Soon after, Springfield went solo and plotted a course for America.
"I would write letters to the Canadian government, then see if I could sneak across the border," he said. "It's really hard to get into this country (America), unless you're a terrorist."
Springfield had a few false starts with record labels and contracts.
But in 1982 he scored the role of Dr Noah Drake on General Hospital, which soon exploded in popularity. With a new album already in the can, he only had to wait for his profile to take off. And it did.
"It was a two-edged sword," he said. "I walked into this show when it became the big hit of the summer.
"Suddenly, it was in all the magazines, Elizabeth Taylor wanted a role and all college kids watched it."
Springfield saw the ratings skyrocket, then released Jesse's Girl, the signature song for a generation.
He said the song was about unrequited lust and was based on real-life characters.
Don't Talk To Strangers is about his then-girlfriend, now wife, Barbara Porter. They have two sons, Liam, 22, and Josh, 18.
In 2000, Springfield was arrested for alleged spousal abuse. He was never convicted and the charges were dropped.
After the arrest, he and Porter released a statement declaring their love for each other.
"I had an argument with my wife and my sister-in-law called 911 to break up the argument," he said. "But we have always been very volatile. Our relationship has always been really high. Or low."
Springfield thought he could explain himself to police after they were called.
"But it was fresh after the OJ thing," he recalled. "If there is a celebrity involved, they take them in and book them. Much to my surprise, they handcuffed me and put me in the back of the black and white, and I spent the night in jail.
"That was not fun," he said. " It was a single cell, luckily, but it was pretty filthy.
"It was as bad as you'd imagine.
"I am a big supporter of cops, though. I don't hold it against them."
These days, Springfield still records and tours.
His most recent records included a covers set and shock/denial/anger/acceptance, a dark album detailing separation from family.
It reflects on his time living in Las Vegas performing in hit show FX.
The residency dragged on for two years.
"I became a commuting dad," Springfield said. "It was very hard on our relationship. A lot of anger came out of that."
In August, Springfield will co-headline 1980s live spectacular, The Countdown Spectacular 2.
It marks his first Australian tour as a solo artist.
"I toured everywhere else in the world except Australia, and I don't know why," he said.
Springfield said he was looking forward to returning to the cities he knew as an aspiring musician.
"It's the same story. I went from band to band and things got better," he said. "We did our share of crap, though.
"We'd do shows in the bush, fights would break out and the show would stop until the fight ended. We'd have to defend ourselves with microphone stands.
"I hope things have changed."
The Countdown Spectacular 2 is at Adelaide Entertainment Centre on September 2. Tickets go on sale May 14 through Ticketek.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21638123-5006343,00.html?from=public_rss

No comments: