Monday, August 6, 2007

Santa Rosa, CA 8/04/07

Santa Rosa, CA
Wells Fargo Performing Arts Center
8/04/07
review and photo by Lezlie Micheletti

The show on Saturday was once again an amazing show. The Performing Arts Center was very nice! They were well prepared and organized. I arrived at the PAC to get my tickets from Will Call at about 3:15pm. The band (Rick wasn't there) was fine tuning at the time. I didn't bother them but did watch from the lobby for a few minutes. I hadn't been there before so I walked around a few to get familiar with the venue and left around 3:30pm or so to check in to my hotel. I didn't go to the soundcheck but assume it started later as nobody else was there at that time.

The doors opened at about 7:30pm and the show was to begin at 8pm. It got started a little late as it took awhile for the theatre to fill up. At 8pm it was just over 1/2 full. When the lights dimmed, the crowd was roaring and ready.

The Set List (hopefully I got it all down right):
Who Killed Rock and Roll
Will I
Affair of the Heart
Alyson
I've Done Everything For You
Rock of Life
A Guitar Medley by Rick
Gloria
Fire
Don't Talk To Strangers
Kristina
Living in Oz
The Medley
Love Somebody
My Generation
Human Touch
Encore: Jessie's Girl
Love is Alright Tonight

The guitar medley Rick did was outstanding! I am glad to he takes the time to show his talents on the guitar! Wouldn't have guessed Rick performed the night before as it didn't effect his energy for this show at all. The venue was over doing it with the amount of security so as you would expect Rick had a field day with that one. He even noticed some of them were 'packing' guns and found that quite amusing. He picked on one, John, specifically and it was very funny to say the least and the faces he would make were terrific. I wish I could have gotten pictures. They told me no professional cameras so I didn't have my SLR, just a point and shoot that couldn't get good shots from where we were. I found out as I got there, others had SLRs, so I guess I just have to take my chances from now on. :)

Rick came out into the audience during Love Somebody, My Generation, and Human Touch. Of course when he did, he asked John (security) if he'll protect him when if he goes out into the audience. Definitely a pun. He laughed. It was hilarious and helped that all the security guys stood there emotionless and didn't move the whole night. I was in Section B, Row G, Seats 13, 14, 15. We were fortunate to have Ricks presence several times. He roamed around a little bit and about three times, ended up by us (once in front, once in back and once right next to us). He saw my daughter when he was in front of her, pointed, smiled, then reached out and held her hand for a moment. Wish I had a picture of that! He asked if it was someone's birthday and we were pointing to my daughter (hers is the day before Ricks and she'll be 9) and girls next to us were trying to get his attention towards us but he didn't see or hear us. He started to sing "you say it's your birthday" then stopped and him and Matt B were talking how he was in a different mood than yesterday and were joking about it. Then he mentioned his birthday coming up. My daughter was complaining in the beginning of the show when everyone stood up that she couldn't see very well but after getting Rick's attention more than once, she said in the end it was the best show out of the two she's been too! I must say I have been to a few myself and each and every one always seems better than the last. Rick has that effect!

After Rick sang Gloria he talked about his trip to Alaska with George B and his son Josh. He talked about the fish his son caught and how strange it is to get back into civilization. You could tell he loved the trip and is a very proud dad as he has every right to be and I am glad to hear it. He also mentioned that he is going great white shark diving in Australia too while he is there this month.

Rick had several people, including yes... John ... from security, sing to DTTS. He scared the daylights out of a lady in the audience named Barb (who Rick thought at first she said Bob). After he gave her a hard time over her reaction when he startled her, he made her sing to DTTS as well. His imitation of her startled reaction was priceless! There was also a lady with a tiara and boa who sang after he made the comment, "let's hear from the princess" or something like that. Lastly, he asked for a child to sing when he asked the little boy his name, he belted out "DTTS". He did a great job but we never got his name. It was cute and so was Rick's reaction once again.

It was a great concert as you would expect. Rick was loaded with tons of energy, humor, and fun! He had the whole place rockin' by the time it was over. He gave is usual hug to us all twice and even stopped to sign a few things while he was out and about in the audience. It was definitely a great night and one that Rick should be pleased with as well. You can't help but leave a show hoping there will be another one soon! It ended around 10pm I think.

No comments: