Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rick Springfield Plays in Texas - Late, Late at Night.

October 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
Glass Cactus Theater
Photos by Charlotte Poe

The show started a little after 10:00 pm.

Rick was kind of talkative during the show. Here are some of the things he said throughout:

Rick says that Matt wants him to tell a story. He starts out "so there's this priest
and this Rabbi" He starts over, "hey, its official, I have a screw loose. I had a
motorcycle accident in 1988, and they put a plate in my shoulder because the bone was all shattered. I just had it x-rayed the other day, and there's a screw loose. One of the screws has actually come loose. And it is floating around inside my shoulder. So if I had that removed, and put it on Ebay, who would bid on it?" Crowd screams. "Alright, you are a bunch of sick puppies. I may just do that. And then you can say you got screwed by Rick Springfield". Then going into the next song - "This is one off of our latest record. Its a song"... then he starts over saying "who does this sound like.....This is off our latest record, It's a song, it's a single, its beautiful....It sounds like John Lennon, that's how John Lennon used to introduce their songs. Here's a song off one of our records, I think it was a single, I don't know [from the man who just wrote his memoir]It's called What's Victoria's Secret.

"How freaky is this place? This is what it is going to be like in the future, a bio dome. Only this will be a bio dome for the rich people. Everybody else is going to be in a tent corrugated thing that gets hotter than hell in the summer, unless we do something....

Next up, "When I wrote this song, I bet most of you didn't know you could possibly die from lead
poisoning from eating fish. You can now, how cool is that?! I've been eating fish all of my life, and my heart is in great shape. I have like no plaque or anything in my heart, really clean, but I have lead and mercury poison. I'm getting rid of it now, don't worry. Its on its way out. You gotta cleanse yourself. Other than that I'm completely clean. And lead and mercury poison is not a sexually contagious disease. So this song, before fish was poisonous is called...and he goes into IGE.
During the break in IGE, he does some heavy breathing and says "That's what I sound like when I'm.....doing push ups". Then he sees a woman who has a "Kiss Me I'm 40" sign, in the audience. He says "why should I kiss you just because you're 40? You gotta reach higher than that. Then he asks "Who here is 40?" A lot of people yell. He says "I don't mean 41, or 43, or 39. who is exactly 40? Then he notices the band isn't really paying much attention so he says "I'm sorry, am I bothering you guys?" Then he asks George how old he is, and George says "old enough to know better". Then he goes back to his other conversation. "Ok, so there's this amazing anomalie that we start to define at 40. 40th birthdays are cropping up all over the place. Then he sees a girl holding up some underwear. And he says "I hope they don't fit you sister because that would be scary (they were kind of big). She had written some stuff on them. They look like underwear my Mom would wear.
Hey you can read about my Mom's......he stops and says, "Don't hit me with those things,so she throws them over to the side and he tells George to put them on, so he does. Then he goes back to his story....You can read all about my Mom's underwear in my new book "Late, Late, at Night". It's coming out October the 12th (yea, he got the date right). Then he notices George has the underwear on over his pants and says "You will do anything for a laugh". He messes around with George for a second, then goes back to "so if you want to find out about my Mom's underwear, buy my new book when it comes out. And George says, "I'm freaking excited now!" And yes, this whole conversation was in between the verses of IGE. So Rick picks back up on the song (and actually sings the right verse this time).

Later, someone else holds up some more underwear (although this time Men's). And he says "I'm not touching any underwear", so they toss it up, and it has Californication on it, and he says "they were a lot smaller than that one" He then starts to go into VIO and goes into the "yea, yea" bit, and makes all kinds of different noises and gets the audience to repeat it. He actually did a pretty good cow noise.

During DTTS,he changes the line to "Every man's a Cowboy". He goes over to the DJ that was playing music before the show. And he asks him "What was all that 80's shit you were playing
earlier. He gets him to sing, then tells the security guard that the DJ got him out of singing. He says about the security guard "he's cute, isn't he". It's alright for a guy to think another guy's cute, and he asks him how old he is (22). Rick says "Dude, I have sons older than you. You're right in between my two sons, I have a 21 year old and a 24 year old, and they're awesome. It's a great age, and now we are going to teach you that girls like it when guys sing. It's not hard to figure out. I figured it out pretty early. I was in the crowd, watching all these girls around me flipping out over this dope on stage.And he wasn't even singing his own songs, he was singing 60's stuff. Then he gets interrupted, when someone hands him their cell phone and he tries to get them to sing, but didn't work out. Then he gets the security guy to sing. Then he knocks over his glass of wine and says "Oh shit, there goes my wine". Then he says "oh, are there any kids in the audience, I certainly hope not (I guess since he cussed), but this is Texas, right? I know from fact that you let young kids into bars because I've seen them. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm just wondering why there's none here tonight." People yell out it's 21 and older. ""You have to be 21? Why? Seven year olds buy drinks to, you know. (kidding).

Does he normal routine about Hard to Hold and Californication. Then he says "There's even a photo of my naked butt in my book, Late Late at Night, plug, plug...."
At the beginning of HT, he says "You better have a beer waiting for me at the back there on the bar", so he was planning on making it to the back, but he didn't. He made it to about the
middle, but they were hanging on him so much at that point he gave up and went back to the stage. There was even someone who followed him from the front of the stage. I guess some
people think he can't get enough of them.

Before JG, he says "you know, there are a couple of songs you can recognize from the first few notes. And he plays some song (sounded kind of like Shave and a Haircut), then Smoke on the Water, then Jessie's Girl. He says "personally I prefer and did the first one again. But we'll do this one instead, and went into JG.

The complete set list was:
wkrnr
IDEFY
Affair of the Heart
Living in Oz
What's Victoria's Secret
IGE
Alyson
VIO
Souls
LIAT
Fire
DTTS
Love Somebody
Human Touch
Jessie's Girl
Jesus Saves
Kristina

No comments: